Monday, September 8, 2008

Coaching Football

As some of you may know, i'm currently helping coach 9th grade football at lone peak. My neighbor has a boy who plays on the team, he asked me to help out because he knew my passion and love for the game of football. Coaching has been a challenge, trying to get kids to listen to you, and teaching them fundamentals. The kids don't seem to want to learn the basics, they think they are above that, but most of them don't know how to form tackle.

I'm coaching defensive backs and linebackers, and i help with the defense. It is very gratifying to see kids listen to what you have to say and actually do it out on the field. This team i am coaching has come a long way, everyday they are getting better. I'm hoping i can coach some of these kids enough to help them make the sophmore team next year, some of them have great ability and potential.

We had our first game last tuesday. I was so nervous, but the defense tore it up. They held the other team scoreless and we won 21-0. Not a perfect game but very good. Coaching actually is the thing (besides my wife) that i look forward to everyday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay now put some pictures up with your posts! Like you definitely need some pictures of you and your team or you coaching and in your coaching gear!

That is awesome that you guys won. I never heard the outcome. You should post the schedule so we can come to the next one.

Toni said...

Nice work! That comment about coaching and your wife was cute. We'd love to come to one of the games sometime, too!